If there's one thing I like to do, it's get out to different events and talk to people. I get to hear what they're looking for each month in the pages of magazine, and I get to hear about their cars. One of the questions I have been getting asked quite often is what's going on with the Bee? We never got to see a feature, is it done?
Actually, it has been done for quite some time, and maybe it's time for not only that feature, but to let you guys know how the products we used when building the car are working out. So, let's start from the beginning.
The car was purchased in a completely disassembled condition when it was located in a garage in Danville, Pennsylvania. This was back in May of 2004, but it would take almost three years before things would actually get moving on the project. This is when the AlterKtion front suspension was installed. By the way, the car has been on the road for around two years, and the front end definitely adds a bit of "modernization" to the car. Right after the AlterKtion was installed, the car once again took a hiatus from any progress.
Finally, we realized that time was not going to allow us to work on the car as much as we would have liked, so we decided that if the car was to ever get finished, we were going to need some help. This is when we contacted Unlawful Racing in Ortonville, Michigan. We made a plan that would have us meet Jack and Russ at the 2008 Mopar Nationals, where they would pick up the car, and take it back to the shop.
Once there, installing a new Unlawful-built four-link rear suspension was first on the list. We decided that a DTS-built Dana 60 with a set of 4.10 gears would be the perfect set up behind our soon-to-be installed Wedge and Tremec. The next area to be tackled was the sheetmetal. We started by smoothing the firewall and inner fenderwells. The rear of the car needed some attention, as the rear crossmember, trunk floor, and Dutchman panel needed replaced. We also added an Unlawful Racing roll bar, and frame connectors. Once all of the metal work was complete, a thick coat of PPG B5 Blue was applied. There were some long discussions about adding the stripe, but it definitely helps the car.
The interior was source through PUI interiors, and while we wanted the car to resemble stock, we did deviate a little bit by building a custom dash face, and installing AutoMeter gauges.
Finally, it was time to install the 500-inch Speed-o-Motive–built Wedge, and the Tremec transmission. With the car almost complete, we then used ISIS wiring to connect everything.
We've had the car on the road for a couple of years now, and even with some more-racier parts being utilized, the car is still a blast to drive. While driving in town, the car can be a big of a handful as you wish. Getting it out on the Interstate and putting miles on it is just as rewarding. The car is happy no matter the situation—It launches like a monster, and then cruises at 70 mph, while barely cracking 2,000 rpm.
Mopar Muscle Project 'Bee
At 500 inches, the car was originally planned to be a race car. Luckily, with almost 800 h
Engine: It's a 500-inch Wedge, with an Eagle crankshaft and connecting rods slinging JE pistons up and down. The Comp Cams solid roller displaces the intake valves 695/.675 inch, and holds them open 275/282 degrees at .050 inch. The heads are a set of Edelbrock Victors, with a Super Victor intake and 1050 Dominator carburetor—we did add progressive linkage to the carburetor. Oiling chores are handled by Milodon. The combination is good for almost 800 horsepower without the nitrous, and still runs on pump gas with its 10.5:1 compression ratio. Exhaust is via a set of Doug's Headers, into a custom 3-inch exhaust.
Transmission: It's a Tremec five-speed for the enjoyment of manual gear selection.
Rear: A DTS-built Dana 60 houses an Eaton Truetrac with 4.10 gears.
Suspension: It's an AlterKtion front suspension with an Unlawful four-link in the rear. It's amazing how nice the ride is, even with unbushed rod ends in the four-link.
Brakes: SSBC manual discs and drums.
Wheels/Tires: The wheels are Bonspeed Quasars, measuring 18x7 up front and 19x10 in the rear. No body mods were required for fitment—even with the factory leaf springs. The tires are Bridgestone S-04s; 245/45/18 and 275/40/19s.
Paint/Body: The body work was done, and the B5 blue PPG paint was applied by Unlawful Racing in Ortonville, Michigan.
Interior: While it looks mostly stock, a custom aluminum faceplate was made and filled with Autometer gauges.
The interior still retains a factory appearance.
The custom dash and rollbar are just enough modification to add a "new" look.
On the road: It’s been a blast racking up the miles on our project, but now it’s time to m