"I built my car to drive. Even though I take it to a lot of car shows, I drive it. When I put it together, that was the whole idea--to drive it"--Larry Mayes
'67 Dodge Dart GT convertible
Owned by: Larry and Sue Mayes, Mooresville, Indiana
- Engine: Originally fitted with a 225 Slant Six, the Mayes' '67 now sports a '71 340 built to replicate a 400-hp one previously built here in Mopar Muscle. Goodies include a .040-inch overbore; Comp Cams' solid-lifter camshaft and adjustable rockers; "J" heads with bronze valve guides, hardened valve seats and 2.02-inch intake/1.60-inch exhaust valves; a March Performance billet pulley setup; and a dual exhaust system with tti headers, Doug's electronic cutouts, an X-pipe, and Flowmaster 40-series mufflers. Engine tune by Kevin and Brad Wedan at Wedan Speed & Performance, Columbus, Indiana.
- Transmission: A Hurst-shifted 833 from Dana & Cindy at D&L Transmission, Greenfield, Indiana, replaced the column-shifted 904 Torqueflite.
- Rearend: The same '71 Demon 340 whose engine wound up in the Dart's engine bay also gave up its 8-3/4, Sure Grip-equipped rear for this Dart. Larry swapped its 3.23 gear set for a set of 3.73s.
- Suspension: Restored original '67 Dart GT: Longitudinal torsion bars, anti-sway bar and tubular shocks up front, with leaf springs and tubular shocks in back.
- Brakes: SSBC discs in front and 1971-vintage 10-inch drums in back, power-assisted.
- Wheels and Tires: 14 x 6-inch Cragar S/S 5-spokes on Firestone 225/70-14 redline radials look period-correct at each corner.
- Body: Original '67 Dart convertible unibody (with a '69 GTS/Swinger 340 hood) only needed some small patch panels on the floors, quarters and quarter-panel extensions. OEM trim was either refurbished or replaced with refinished parts-car pieces. Original top frame wears a new top installed by Kevin Kent at Kent's Auto Upholstery, Beech Grove, Indiana.
- Paint: Base/clear Pearl White, sprayed on by Tony Spears and sister Rocky at Spears Auto Body, Fairland, Indiana
- Interior: Originally a buckets-without-console car, his time, the Dart got a custom blue ultra-leather upholstery job by Jim Matthews at Indy Auto Trim, New Palestine, Indiana, on its seats, door and side panels. Cut-pile carpets are by Auto Carpets Originals.