"I've had people who are body men come up and look at it, and they say 'How did he paint this?"--Phil Ecks
1969 Plymouth 'Cuda 340 fastback
Owned by: Phil Ecks, Jackson, New Jersey
- Engine: Phil rebuilt the Fish's 340, adding an Edelbrock LD 340 intake, tti headers and Dynomax mufflers, and Mopar Performance electronic ignition, a hydraulic camshaft and valve springs, while keeping the OEM heads, forged steel crankshaft and Carter AVS four barrel.
- Transmission: Original-equipment 23-spline 833 four-speed and Hurst shifter. They got this one right the first time.
- Rearend: OEM here, too--8-3/4 rear end with 3.91 gears
- Suspension: Restored original for this '69 'Cuda 340: Heavy-duty longitudinal torsion bars, anti-sway bar and HD tubular shocks up front, with leaf springs and HD tubular shocks in back.
- Brakes: Restored stock, with power-assisted Kelsey-Hayes front discs and 10-inch rear drums.
- Wheels and Tires: The classic fender-filling look of chrome Cragar S/S five spokes (15 x 6 inch front, 15 x 8 inch rear) on BFG Radial TAs (205/60R15 front, 255/60R15 rear).
- Body: Restored original '69 Barracuda fastback unibody wears all its original sheetmetal, scoops and chrome trim, but Phil left off the black-only A56 'Cuda 340 stripes this time around.
- Paint: Mickey Beal of Millstone, New Jersey, sprayed on the single stage X9 Black acrylic enamel.
- Interior: The visors and headliner are original, but Legendary's reprodustion Saddle Tan vinyl trim covers the seats, door and side panels. Ssnake Oyl restored the OEM front and rear seat belts.