"With [the XV] suspension set-up in it, all done up with the chassis stiffening, the car handles like a new car."--John Buscema
XV Level II 1968 Dodge Charger
Built by: XV Motorsports, Irvington, New York
- Engine: Yeah, it's got a Hemi--XV Motorsports' hand-built, 500 hp 6.1L Hemi, filled with plenty of their own hardware (like forged rods and pistons, and a performance camshaft), and topped with their custom-tuned electronic fuel injection system.
- Transmission: A computer-controlled, four-speed overdrive automatic with XV's own custom programming
- Rearend: A heavy duty 8 3/4-inch rear end, whose nodular iron case is filled with a 3.91-geared SureGrip, and boasting alloy axle shafts and wheel studs.
- Suspension: XV's Level II suspension package: (Front) XV's aluminum K-member is joined by double A-arms, aluminum spindles, adjustable coil-overs, custom front anti-roll bar, quick-ratio power rack-and-pinion steering, and an adjustable bump steer kit. (Rear) XV's three-link billet aluminum lower links/adjustable upper link, adjustable Panhard bar, adjustable coil-overs and custom rear anti-roll bar
- Brakes: XV's Level II Brake System (featuring 14-inch rotos/6-piston calipers in front, 13-inch rotors/2-piston calipers in back and a Hydroboost power brake booster) stops this Charger the same way Mariano Rivera stops the Red Sox in the 9th.
- Wheels and Tires: Polished three-piece forged Kinesis wheels (18 x 10 inches in front, 18 x 12 inches in back) wear a set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires (285/35-18 front, 335/30-18 rear) that are Y speed rated to 186 mph.
- Body: XV added their subframe connectors, engine compartment brace, lower radiator support/frame rail connector and inner fender shock tower brace to an original, all-steel '68 Charger unibody. All the glass is new, and the trim is either new or restored original.
- Paint: XV's own blend of Brighter-Than-Bright Red, sprayed on at their Irvington, New York shop.
- Interior: When only the best will do: Custom-leather-upholstered Recaro front buckets flank an XV custom console (that contains the high-zoot Alpine sound system's head unit), the stock back seat got the same custom leather as the fronts, the carpets are custom wool ones, plus there's a custom leather dash pad, ultrasuede headliner, leather-wrapped billet steering wheel, and a custom gauge cluster with an 0-200 mph speedometer, 0-10,000 rpm tach, and oil pressure/coolant temperature/voltmeter/fuel level gauges. Other goodies: A/C, auto-dimming rear-view mirror (with a video screen for the rear backup camera), front/rear radar detectors and laser diffuser, plus power windows/locks.