"I could die tomorrow, and somebody else would be driving my car, so I figured that I'd better drive it while I'm here."--Chad Caldwell
1958 Chrysler 300D convertible
Owned by: Chad Caldwell, Newnan, Georgia
- Engine: The last of the FirePower Hemis--a 392-inch, 380-hp version that's been bored out .030-inch and totally restored, down to the two Carter WCFB four-barrels atop the stock cast iron intake.
- Transmission: Restored original 727 TorqueFlite with OEM pushbutton shifter
- Rearend: Restored stock.
- Suspension: Restored stock: (Front) Longitudinal torsion bars (larger-diameter than on other Chryslers), stamped steel A-arms, front sway bar and tubular "Oriflow" shocks (Rear) Steel leaf springs with tubular "Oriflow" shocks
- Brakes: Restored, power-assissted 11-inch drums all around.
- Wheels and Tires: Stock 14 x 6 inch stamped steel wheels with chrome "300" wheel covers and reproduction 9.00-14 wide whitewall tires.
- Body: Original '58 300D convertible body and frame taken apart to bare metal and restored. All body trim is restored original (or NOS).
- Paint: Original color (Cloud White) in PPG "Concept" basecoat/clearcoat form
- Interior: Nothing but the best, then and now--tan leather bench seats, restored by Crawford's Upholstery in Newnan, Georgia. Original gauges were also given a frame-off resto.