"I drive it as much as I can but it only takes Torco Blue 110 octane." - Dana Motes
Fast Facts: 1971 Dodge Challenger
Car Owner: Dana Motes Oxford, MI
- Engine: This mighty 440 once powered his Road Runner and when he parted ways with the car, he held onto the engine. Dana and Jeff Herbon rebuilt it in 1988 before lowering it into the Challenger. It's bored .030-inch over and features TRW pistons held by TRW Six-Pack rods that clench a factory crankshaft. A hydraulic-roller Comp Cams camshaft with .525-inch lift and 305-degrees duration controls the 2.14-inch intake and 1.81-inch exhaust valves. The valves are tamed by Comp valve springs and actuated by Mopar Heavy-Duty Hydraulic stamped rocker arms. The stock cast iron heads were ported and polished and the Edelbrock TM7 high-rise intake were port-matched. For fuel, a single Holley 850 was modified to flow 1100 cfm and an Electronic Direct Connection tach-driven distributor with Super Stock coils deliver the charge. The exhaust leaves through factory manifolds that were port-matched to the needs and into a 2 1/2-inch stainless TTi exhaust with Dynomax mufflers and an X-pipe. Dana bought new resonators to cut open and remove the guts and weld back together. This gives the exhaust a stock appearance and even uses the stock tips.
- Transmission: Mancini Racing rebuilt the TorqueFlite and installed a 2,500 stall Turbo Action Street torque converter and a Cheetah valve Body with a reverse shift pattern.
- Differential: The 8 3/4-inch rear is filled with a factory Sure Grip, 3.91 gears, and Strange axles.
- Suspension: The front features 90/10 shocks with small block torsion bars. The back uses 50/50 shocks, a pinion snubber, and big block leaf springs.
- Brakes: Factory rebuilt drums.
- Wheels and Tires: Factory Rallye wheels with BF Goodrich radials measuring 235 up from and 255 our back.
- Paint and Body: 17 years ago, Dave Reins at Action Collision and Restoration in Troy, painted the car in Citron Yella' lacquer paint. After the accident in his garage, the paint couldn't be matched and the entire car was repainted with a base coat clear coat system from PPG.
- Interior: The original interior was white, but now it's an unrestored black interior out of a donor car he located 20 years ago. The carpet was sourced from YearOne, the Rallye cluster was taken from the donor.