The original 340 still sits between the Challenger's fenders, unburdened by air conditioni
We've heard that the 340-powered Challengers are some of the best-handling Mopars, and Glenn doesn't disagree. "It handles better than any other E-Body that I've driven," he says with a big smile. "I have a '70 'Cuda that's a 440 6-Barrel/four-speed car-I've had it for a while, and my wife won't drive a four-speed. Even though she learned to drive on one, she hasn't driven one since
With a Slap Stick-shifted 340, why mess with a clutch? "She loves it, we're happy with it, and we drive it everywhere," Glenn adds. "Since we got that car, we don't drive anything else!"
'71 Dodge Challenger convertible
Owned by: Donna and Glenn Randall, Annapolis, Maryland
- Engine: Instead of the big-block, this Citron Yella '71 Challenger convertible has a 340 under its hood-the option code E55 engine that went in at Hamtramck when this car was built on May 5, 1971.
- Transmission: Option code D32: A heavy-duty 727 TorqueFlite, with a factory "Slap Stick" shifter in the console
- Rearend: The original 8 3/4-inch rear end, with an open differential and 3.23:1 rear gears.
- Suspension: Original Rallye suspension that went on at Hamtramck: (Front) heavy duty longitudinal torsion bars, sway bar, and shocks (Rear) heavy-duty leaf springs, sway bar, and shocks.
- Brakes: B51 power brakes with discs in front, drums in back
- Wheels and Tires: 15 x 7-inch Rallye wheels were original equipment on this Challenger, while the OEM E60-15 bias-ply tires were replaced long ago by P235/60R15 BFGoodrich Radial T/As
- Body: An original '71 Challenger convertible unibody that's never needed new steel.
- Paint: GY3 Citron Yella "High Impact" paint went on in the paint shop at Hamtramck, and the same color was re-applied about eight years ago (as were the black stripes.)
- Interior: Original high back black vinyl buckets (code H6X9) were OEM, and that's what it still has. "Music Master" AM radio was a later addition, as this was a radio/speaker delete car when built.
"She loves it, we're happy with it, and we drive it everywhere. Since we got that car, we don't drive anything else!"-Glenn Randall