The restoration took about two years to complete, and it hasn't seen a garage very much. "I take it on cruises to Sonic and to different car shows throughout town." His three daughters all want the car, too, but Gerald jokes that he'll be buried in the car. It really means that much to him. "It's hard for me to explain just how much the car has affected me, but it has helped me through some tough times." Gerald can rest assured that every time he fires the small-block to life and hits the Colorado streets that he's in for a good time as he leaves his troubles behind. That's the definition of a dream car.
'73 Plymouth 'Cuda
Owned by: Gerald & Sheree Frost, Aurora, Colorado
- Engine: The 340 came from a '70 Duster. It was then disassembled at his shop where it was bored .040-over and filled with all new Mopar Performance internals. The pistons are cast, the rods are original, and the crankshaft is forged. Compression is 10.5:1. Final displacement is approximately 350 cubic inches. To ensure that the 'Cuda had a proper idle, a 230/236 .488/.491 Comp Cam was installed. It commands the Comp roller rockers and Chrysler X heads' stainless valves. Drew at DZ Air Heads ported the heads. The ignition was converted over to a DUI setup. Performance-inspired AAR-style manifolds mated to a 2 1/2-inch TTi exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers control the exhaust.
- Transmission: Gerald rebuilt the factory torqueflite to handle the additional power. It features a factory slap-stick shifter, and a 3,800-stall Turbo-Action torque converter.
- Rearend: Chrysler 8 3/4-inch rearend with 3.55 rear gears and a sure grip posi.
- Suspension: The front suspension was rebuilt using Moog parts and the rear suspension received new leaf springs.
- Brakes: Factory disc front and drum rear.
- Wheels and Tires: American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels wearing Akuret Ultra HP tires.
- Paint and Body: Well when Gerald purchased the car, there wasn't much paint on it. It was sprayed in all primer. Its original color was an "ugly brown" but it now wears Subaru WRC Rally Blue Pearl, picked out by his wife, Sheree. G & S Auto body (Now called Admiration Auto Body) in Aurora painted it and performed the bodywork.
- Interior: Inside, the 'Cuda was treated to new door panels, dash pad, floor mats with color-matched stitching, windows, and weather stripping. Everything was sourced from Year One. Carlos Bohena performed all the work. The stereo was also upgraded to a Kenwood CD player with JVC speakers.