The '70-vintage "hockey stick" stripes advertise 5.7L Hemi power up front.
Andrew replaced the well-worn original seat covers in his 'Cuda's cabin before he shipped
The '73 hood wears the 'Cuda 340 badge and Sherwin-Williams' three-stage paint well.
'73 Plymouth Barracuda
Andrew Stiles, Coweta, Ok
Restored/modified by students at WyoTech, Laramie, WY
- Engine: Yeah, it's got a Hemi-one that's smaller and lighter than the 318 the car was built with. WyoTech's all-volunteer crew swapped in a 5.7L Hemi salvaged from an '03 Dodge Ram pickup.
- Transmission: from the same '03 Dodge Ram pickup as the 5.7L Hemi; the five-speed overdrive automatic that succeeded the OEM A-904 was transplanted. Shifter's a Lokar five-speed go forward/go backward unit, replacing the original Slap Stick.
- Rearend: The stock 8 3/4-incher was rebuilt, gaining a 4.10-geared Detroit Tru-Track limited-slip differential in the process.
- Suspension: (Front) New torsion bars, lower control arms, and Edelbrock shocks replaced the worn-out stock pieces. (Rear) Mopar Performance leaf springs and shackles, plus Edelbrock shocks and rear sway bar-reason enough to scrap the OEM hardware.
- Brakes: 14-inch Baer discs at each corner replaced the stock front disc/rear drum setup.
- Wheels: 17x8-inch American Racing "Rogue" wheels on all four corners not only look good, they also give the big Baers plenty of room while wearing a set of 235/55R17 Bridgestone Potenzas.
- Body: Restored and refinished at WyoTech's Laramie campus, it received new floorpans, quarters, and trunk floor extensions from YearOne.
- Paint: Sherwin-Williams' three-stage John Moss Yellow, sprayed on by volunteers from WyoTech's refinishing program, who also did the pre-paint metal finishing.
- Interior: Andrew had already replaced the dashpad and seat covers, so those stayed. The gauge cluster was restored; new carpets installed; and the console shifter was adapted to a new OD automatic transmission. Aftermarket sound system replaced the OEM AM radio.
This project began in January 2008 and was finished three days before Andrew's arrival home from Iraq in mid-May.