The body itself required only minimal attention. After being smoothed out one last time, Robby English replaced the yellow paint, and then the car was lettered by Butch at BJ Signs. When Rick first completed it, it had the early 'Dodge Dealers' lettering, but he later decided that the mid-season 'Maverick' moniker was much more fitting and has repainted the car accordingly. In an effort to keep the car in optimum condition and appearance, Rick also went to the trouble of having exposed parts like the wheels and K-frame powder-coated.

The end result may not be ready for the 'survivor' category at most car shows, but it most certainly retains the flavor of the original while allowing it to be used just as Maverick did over three decades ago. It still turns heads, too.

"Maverick" on Super Stock Racing
Most Chrysler fans know Bill "Maverick" Golden for his years piloting the "Little Red Wagon." Fewer are aware of his involvement in the Super Stock ranks during the early part of the '60s. A fierce competitor, Maverick could well have become a standout racer in the Funny Car or Pro Stock ranks had the opportunity to drive the red wheelstanding truck not come along. While researching Rick DeMarco's super restoration of Maverick's feared '63 Dodge, we had a chance to talk with "Maverick" about his early racing career at the same time he saw the car for the first time since its restoration.

"After I got out of the Marines in 1956, I stayed in California and I got my first Dodge in 1957-a brand new 1958 model. We raced Chryslers from then on.

"Next, I had a 1960 383-powered Phoenix. After winning one night at Lions Drag Strip, this guy came up and gave me his card. It was Jack McFarland, and he was from Dodge's West Coast News Bureau. He told me to call if there was anything I needed and that was how I first got connected to Chrysler. I also hooked up with Gordon and Jerry Williams, a husband/wife team that also raced in Southern California at the time. They helped me learn some of the ins and out of racing legal Stockers.

"After the Phoenix, I ran a '62 Super Stock Dodge that held both ends of the NHRA record as well as an AHRA record. That car was very competitive and we were undefeated with it most of the year. It belonged to Brian Nichols, son of Chrysler executive Byron Nichols. Brian and Bud Faubel had raced the car on the East Coast in September and October of 1961, and the season was done out there, so Mr. Nichols and Dodge's public relations man Frank Wylie sent it out to me. I ran it all through the winter and all that next year, until I got my 1963 car. It won the AHRA Winter Championships at Fontana Raceway in 1962, and I beat everyone there including Don Nicholson. That was a great car, and nothing I raced it against on the West Coast could touch it. I got my first match races in it, and I set top speed of the meet at 114.94 mph at the Indy Nationals that year-the first time I went out there.

"1962 was also the first year I was under contract to the factory with full sponsorship, and that helped me get the first Max Wedge on the West Coast. This 1963 Dodge was painted right off the assembly line with New York taxicab paint because the factory really wanted it to stand out. We got it very early in the model year-in October of 1962-and I took it all apart. Jack Hart from NHRA came all the way down from L.A. to look at it and that car was used as the weight example; whatever it weighed once I took it to an NHRA track would be what the NHRA would classify those cars at for the 1963 model year. We took it to Pomona one rainy winter day and it was like 3,435 pounds, so that became the number nationwide.