We’re back again this month, working on Project 50. In case you’re new to this project, Project 50 is a ’69 Charger that we plan to make 50-state compliant. Yes, we realize that the year of the car will make it exempt from many states that require emissions, but the premise is still the same--build an environmentally safe hot rod. Over the last several issues (Starting in September 2013), we have been in the throes of rebuilding the Charger’s body. It’s taken a lot of work, but we’re nearing the end of the metal replacement phase. Most recently, we finished rebuilding the back half of our Charger by replacing the quarter panels, inner and outer wheel houses, tail panel, and Dutchman panel. We’re far from finished, so this month, as much as we wanted to be done, we had to focus on the front end. To put it simply, the car was built in 1969, and over the years, it has developed some damage and rust issues that need some attention. To make it right, we need to cut out the bad metal and replace it.

Just like the rest of the metal replacement, this is a fairly involved job, but since the car is on a frame jig, it does tend to make things a little easier. Like we’ve said before, the body of our Charger needed a lot of work, and that’s why we ended up having the guys at the AMD Installation Center handle the job of replacing the metal. We could have done it ourselves, but it would have taken us twice as long, and these guys really know what they’re doing.

Auto Metal Direct
940 Sherwin Parkway
Suite 180
GA  30518
AMD Installation Center